North Fambridge is a very peaceful village, the residents are very friendly and this reflects well on the marina where our excellent staff, tenants and berth holders work in a friendly & relaxed environment.
Within the village, adjacent to the entrance to our Yacht Station you will find the famous Ferry Boat Inn, an excellent pub serving great food all year round.
North Fambridge is on the main railway line from Southminster to London Liverpool Street station, this superb rail link is a very convenient way to see our surrounding area, remember - our staff will gladly collect you and your luggage from or drop you off at the village station free of charge.
If you have a day to spare:
- A popular place to visit is Maldon, once a very busy ancient port and is steeped in maritime history. Have a walk around Hythe Quay and see the huge collection of original Thames Barges and maritime museums, take part in one of the evening 'Ghost walks' or dine in one of the may superb restaurants. View the Maldon Port Guide (pdf)
- The famous, historic sailing town of Burnham On Crouch is only 15 minutes (or two stops) away on the train heading towards Southminster, or depending on how fit your feeling, a pleasant 3-4 hour walk along the level sea wall from our Yacht Station, taking in all the sights along the river as you go. Burnham has several excellent restaurants, a railway museum, a town museum, many yacht clubs and a selection of well stocked chandlerys. It's also a great place to stock up on general stores from one of its many shops and supermarkets.
- South Woodham Ferrers is one stop away on the train heading towards London, here you will find Marsh Farm and a very large 24 hour ASDA supermarket. Marsh Farm Animal Adventure Park is a family fun day-out where where children can get close to farm animals and play safely in one of their adventure play areas. There is also a Country Park, which boasts excellent coastal walks and superb views of the River Crouch.
- Battlesbridge is the next stop after South Woodham Ferrers, here you will find several antique shops to invade and a small motorcycle museum.
- Take the train to London, you could be in central London within an hour and will then be able to walk along the casual South Bank, visit Covent Garden or take in a show to name only a few of the 1,000's of things to do in our exciting capital.
Local Tourist Attractions
- Marsh Farm Country Park - South Woodham Ferrers
- Mangapps Railway Museum - Burnham On Crouch
- Three Rivers Golf & Country Club - Cold Norton
- Blackwater Leisure Centre & Swimming Pool - Maldon
- Tropical Wings Butterfly Centre - South Woodham Ferrers
- Museum Of Power - Langford, Maldon
- Madison Heights Entertainment Centre - Maldon
Fambridge & The Crouch Wildlife
Most Visitors to Fambridge Yacht Haven are intrigued by the wildlife surrounding the salt marsh and variety of birds around both sites. The large ditches behind the sea wall are known as borrowdykes, initially dug out to provide clay for the construction of the sea wall and now provide an excellent habitat for the increasingly rare water vole. Seawater that creeps into the dykes also encourage brackish water plants to grow. You may also be lucky enough to see the Brent Geese in the lush grass of flat fields surrounding the sea walls. Intertidal mud is very valuable for the local wildlife, providing abundant food for oystercatcher, curlew, redshank & black tailed godwit birds. In the river itself you will often see birds such as red-breasted mergansers and cormorant (the sea chicken!). Seals are occasionally seen feeding on the rich fish and invertebrate life of the estuary and often find their way into our marina.
The reserve is open all year, although the permissive path through the reserve is only open from 1st April - 31st October. You can contact the warden on 01621 740687.