For Clive and Jane Green what was meant to be a short summer holiday to Ireland and Spain ended up in an around-the-world adventure that spanned 16 years.
Clocking up a total of 51,000 nautical miles in a staggering 51 countries their journey saw them swimming with sting rays in Tahiti, sailing through pirate-infested waters, watching volcanoes billow and getting up close to marine iguana on the Galápagos Islands.
Setting sail from Neyland Yacht Haven, Pembrokeshire their adventure started back in 1998 aboard their 35ft sailing boat the Jane G and from there the boat just kept taking them from one port and harbour to another.
The Green’s 16 Year Global Itinerary:
- 1998-1999: After leaving Wales on July 11, they took in Ireland, Spain, Portugal, Gibraltar, Madeira, Canaries, Cape Verde and Barbados
- 2000: St Lucia, St Vincent and the Grenadines, Grenada, Trinadad and Tobago, Venezuela, Martinique, Dominica, Guadeloupe, Antigua and Barbuda
- 2001: St Kitts and Nevis, St Maarten, Anguilla, British Virgin Islands, American Virgin Islands, Bermuda, USA, Canada
- 2002-2003: Bahamas, Panama, Galapagos, Marquesas, Tuamotu, Society Islands, Northern Cook Islands, Samoa, Tonga
- 2003 - 2005: New Zealand, Fiji, Vanuatu, New Caledonia
- 2005 - 2007: Australia, Indonesia, Singapore, Malaysia, Thailand
- 2009-2011: India, Oman, Yemen, Eritrea, Sudan, Egypt, Cyprus, Turkey, Greece, Bulgaria, Romania
- 2012- 2014: Greece, Malta, Italy, Spain, Portugal, Azores, Ireland, wales
The Greens finally arrived back at Neyland Yacht Haven on August 8th,16 years, one month and two days after they left. They now promise to spend a few months back at home with friends and family before their next adventure - navigating the canals of Europe.
Mrs Green said: “We didn’t come across anything that we could not cope with. We are both very resourceful.
“We had such a fabulous time. People say to us ‘you should write a book’ but the thing is, disasters sell books and we haven’t had any disasters – we have had good weather, we have met wonderful people everywhere we have been – we can’t fault it.”
Listen to Clive and Jane Green's interview on Radio 4 Saturday Live on 16th August - follow link to BBC iPlayer Listen Again and listen in from 01:15:00 of the broadcast