- 09 August 2020
As a result of the COVID-19 outbreak, this event has been postponed by the event organisers.
Over 300 Optimist dinghies are expected at Largs once again as the town hosts the biggest dinghy event of the year.
Using the Largs Yacht Haven Championship Slipway, the Optimists are a stunning sight on the Ayrshire water with tough, tight racing expected in the single-handed dinghy.
- Lots of top quality racing
- Proper sea sailing - waves and all!
- International competition with teams as far afield as USA
- A traditional ceilidh
- Two regatta fleets to cater for all those not ready for the main fleets
- Arguably the best race management team in the world (Peter & Sue Saxton!)
What do I need to do:
- Enter via the IOCA website
- Book accommodation
- Persuade all your friends to come too
- Volunteer to help - as a rule of thumb, for every 1 sailor we need a volunteer to help on 3 out of the 6 days
- Can you bring a RIB? Either your Club's or your own? Remember to contact Largs Yacht Haven to book a pontoon berth for the week.
- There is plenty of space in the Yacht Haven for motorhomes and caravans. Book is essential by contact Largs Yacht Haven.
- Limited 'wild camping' will be available at the Yacht Haven on the grass area. More details to follow
- Visit the local accommodation list on the Largs SC website
- Make sure you're on the mainland. If you search for accommodation near Largs, you might be guided towards rentals on the islands!
More details coming soon!
For more information, visit the websites for Largs Sailing Club, Scottish Sailing Institute or the IOCA event page. Event Co-ordinator = Antony Gifford.
We are proud to be supporting the Visit Scotland Year of Coasts and Waters 2020!
Click to view and enlarge
Photos credits include: Largs Sailing Club, Scottish Sailing Institute, Marc Turner and Garry Hale