On a crisp spring day, Lymington Yacht Haven proudly hosted the first regional roadshow event for the Sea Angling Classic. At stake for budding anglers; a free place in the grande final later this summer and the opportunity to win a fully-equipped Extreme 745 Game Fisher worth over £100,000!
Over 30 boats and 60 budding anglers of all ages took to the water. Departing Lymington River in stunning formation, competitors had five hours to catch the largest target fish; Bass, Rays, Bream, Smooth hound, Tope.
Following the catch-and-release competition, anglers returned to the Yacht Haven for prizegiving and great food courtesy of The Chilli Chain.
As for the results, two anglers recorded identical catches; Smooth hound measuring 105cm from top-to-tail. On countback based on who caught their fish first, the win went to our very own Dan from Haven Quay Lymington onboard his Merry Fisher 'Survey'.
Other prizes included:
- Longest Bass, 47cm caught by Mike Cave
- Longest Bream, 42cm caught by Gareth Williams
- Longest Ray, 73cm caught by Mick Teague
- Longest Smoot hound, 105cm caught by Dan Baker
- Ugliest Fish caught by Simon Pinder for a conger, winning a voucher for The Haven Bar & Restaurant
- Most Exotic Fish won by 'Trident' for a small Blennioidei
Thank you to Ross from the Sea Angling Classic for help bringing the event to fruition. As well as sponsors including: Extreme Boats, Lowrance, Panteanius Insurance, SBS Trailers, Nick Cox Chandlery, Mustang Survival, Quality Time Fishing Tackle, Trident Fishing Charters, Lethal Lures and more.
The 2023 Sea Angling Classic takes place in Portsmouth on 14th to 18th June. Visit SeaAnglingClassic.com.