August 2022 Update

The Border Force and HMRC have created a digital platform where UK pleasure vessels can log their voyages when they sail to or from the UK. You can use this service to tell Border Force and HMRC about your next voyage plan, and update any existing voyage plan.


Following the United Kingdom's exit from the European Union at the end of 2020, leisure boaters now must undertake new procedures when entering and exiting the UK.

LYH Entrance River Mooring

Arriving in the UK

Both non-UK flagged vessels and UK flagged vessels returning from a trip outside of the UK must now fly the ‘Q’ flag where it can be readily seen as soon as UK waters (12nm from shore) are entered. 

A 'Q' or 'Quebec' flag is a plain yellow flag and it is often flown on the starboard spreader indicating that you still need to complete your full customs checks with the authorities. Once customs authorities have completed your registration, the flag is replaced with your home country flag. 

Non-commercial craft must notify UK border authorities upon their first arrival into a UK port when arriving from anywhere outside of UK waters. Failure to comply will make you liable to a penalty.

When arriving from a non-EU country or the Channel Islands, leisure boaters must phone the National Yachtline on 0300 123 2021. You will need to inform the Yachtline if any of the following apply: 

  • UK VAT has not been paid on the vessel.
  • You have on board goods which are to be treated as surplus stores as per Notice 69A.
  • You have any prohibited or restricted goods.
  • There is any notifiable illness on board.
  • There are any people on board who need immigration clearance.
  • Any repairs or modifications, other than running repairs, have been carried out since the vessel last left the UK.
  • You have any goods for personal use on which you need to declare and pay UK tax or duty and cannot do so via the online service.
  • Boaters may also be asked to complete part 2 of the C1331 declaration form.

Arriving in the UK as a Visitor

If the Yacht Haven is your first port when arriving in the UK, you also need to contact the local Border Force to seek permission to enter prior to disembarking. You do not need to call if you have existing permission to enter or remain, or have a right of entry to the UK, but you must still contact the National Yachtline.

An EU/EEA traveller will need to provide Border Force with your name, date of birth, nationality and  document number, as a minimum. You must have received notification of your permission to enter the UK prior to disembarking your vessel, this may be granted remotely (without physically seeing a Border Force Officer). Failure to obtain permission to enter the UK may result in you entering the UK illegally and subject to enforcement action.

Follow the link for relevant contact information to your area:

Largs Marina Entrance

Departing the UK

Before leaving the UK (which includes going to the Channel Islands), you must advise the Border Force of your intentions by completing a C1331 declaration form: Declare pleasure craft on voyages leaving or arriving in the UK'.

Part 1 of the form must be completed for all leisure voyages leaving the UK.

C1331 Declaration Form

When arriving at your port/destination, whether it be in the EU or a non-EU country, there will be new  arrival procedures that you'll need to follow before you're permitted to enter that country. Please seek advice from your intended port/destination before travelling. 

Fambridge Aerial Pontoon Corner

VAT status on recreational boats

Recreational boats lying in Great Britain at the time the transition period ended ceased to be in free circulation in the Customs Territory of the EU. They no longer have Union status and will be treated by the UK as ‘domestic goods’.

In order to evidence this status of ‘domestic goods’ in the future you as the boat owner will need to continue to retain evidence of the boat’s VAT paid status and must also obtain and keep evidence to demonstrate the boat’s location at the end of the transition period (11pm UTC on 31 December 2020). 

Across all our Yacht Havens, we undertook a full boat muster at 11pm on 31st December 2020. The owner of any boat on a Yacht Havens premises on the day the transition period ended can request evidence that their boat was located at a Yacht Haven when the transition period ended.

Get in touch with your local Yacht Haven

For further information or support, contact your local Yacht Haven.

Lymington Aerial Hero

Lymington Yacht Haven

HQ Dry Stack Lymington Portrait

Haven Quay, Lymington

Largs Yacht Haven Aerial 07

Largs Yacht Haven

Troon Calm Marina

Troon Yacht Haven

Fambridge Aerial Showing Stow Creek

Fambridge Yacht Haven

NYH Aerial Whole Marina

Neyland Yacht Haven


Plymouth Yacht Haven

YHQ Inside Dry Stack Boat In Hoist

Yacht Haven Quay, Plymouth


Jachthaven Biesbosch, NL

Back to News