Scottish sailors showed their unwavering commitment to their sport by coming out in force for the RYA Scotland Winter Championships 2016 held at Largs this December.
Eighty-eight boats from all across Scotland came to Largs Sailing Club for the championships held on 12th and 13th of December, organised by the Scottish Sailing Institute.
Ironically after nearly a month of near gale force winds, including 4 of the MET Office’s newly named storms, the weekend was plagued by very light breezes which made life hard for the race management teams. Fortunately enough wind eventually appeared on Saturday to allow at least three races for each of the eight different fleets with some completing five races.
A very cold start to Sunday saw the competitors waiting on the shore for some wind to arrive, the younger sailors occupied the time by making snowballs from the frozen water in the bottom of their boats with some even managing to make mini-snowmen! A very small patch of breeze allowed the handicap dinghy fleet to take to the water.
The Class winners were:
- Laser Standard: Dugal Wilson, Loch Venachar SC
- Laser Radial: Jamie Calder, Loch Tummel SC
- Optimist: Gordon Cogan-Sivarajan, Clyde Cruising Club
- Topper: Lorcan Knowles
- RS:X: Erin Watson, Loch Insh SC
- Techno 5.8: Leonard Staber, Clyde Windsurfing Club
- Techno 7.8 : Islay Watson, Clyde Windsurfing Club
- Handicap Dinghy: Ewan Wilson & Robbie Wilson, Wormit BC
- View the full Laser, Radial Topper, Optimist and Windsurfer results
- View the full 29er, 420 & RS Feva results
Thanks to Largs Sailing Club for their hospitality, and the Scottish Sailing Institute and RYA Scotland for their management and organisation.